Tuesday, May 26, 2009

RATS Redux

You may remember I asked Whit Sheppard to write about his recent visit to DA.

And now for those..."Reflections upon visiting the campus: it just seemed a much more upbeat, vibrant place than my memories of it. Deerfield seemed much more humane and student-centered than during our era. Might have had something to do with the beautiful spring sunshine, warm air and 50% of the student body being of the female persuasion. And certainly owing somewhat to seeing it through different, clear eyes, and not through the chemically-induced fog of much of my earlier experience as a student. Lots of smiling faces and friendly "hellos" from current students, and I had a nice chat with a few seniors before we went in for lunch. Good kids, lots of self-esteem, matriculating at great colleges. I drove away with a nice feeling, much different than the one I had when we graduated in 1983. I was more relieved then than anything else. I felt grateful to see today's students seeming to enjoy their Deerfield experience so much, based on my quick impressions.

Couple of more things: I joined the later-in-life-Daddy's-club in November, when Emily Vaughan was born. Her mom and I are thrilled and she's slept through the night since she was 8 weeks old! We are lucky!

And for those looking for a good Father's Day gift, you could do probably worse than picking up a copy of "Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Golf Book," which arrived in bookstores in late April and for which I wrote a piece about my father, also a Deerfield alum ('54) entitled "Dreamer." (page 158) Guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, after all...