Thursday, November 3, 2022

Whit's Reality Check...

On the heels of Adam’s great news, I'm sorry to have to share less positive news with you and our classmates.

I’ve been treated for metastatic melanoma since first being diagnosed in June 2020. Two different rounds of immunotherapy treatment, representing the most current standard of care for my illness, have not turned the tide and my disease has progressed significantly over the past few months, as detailed by a recent PET scan. Though I have some new lesions or “mets” (metastases) and some spread to my pelvis and hip area, I am not symptomatic and not in physical discomfort, which my oncologist at Dana Farber terms “amazing” and “lucky.” I start a third drug combo on Friday with hopes of arresting disease progression and perhaps even turning the tide. 

The timing is ironic in that my daughter, an 8th grader, is currently looking at boarding schools and I am the point person for that. She’s more ready than I was to go away and a far sight more mature at a similar age. I’m excited to see her take this next step in her life and she remains my North Star and guiding light. I hope this finds everyone healthy and happy and counting the many blessings that have accrued to so many of us.


Whit Sheppard