Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Thank You from Brian Steward

On November 19, 2010, I finally walked down the aisle with the lovely
Hannah Williams. That fact is secondary to the rest of this comment
but it is certainly a place to start.

In attendance at this blessed event were D.A.'s finest James Wareck '83
and Corbin Snow, III '81. As many of you may recall, I am originally from
San Antonio. As such, I have been around Corbin's family for
approximately 40 years.  Corbin's presence was a poignant reminder of
the power of relationships and extended family.  Jim's presence,
however, was a test.  During the college years, Jim and I traveled
together a great deal despite attending different schools. Somehow,
that meant that Jim and I would pile into one of our vehicles and
travel north to invade Hamilton and other institutions.  I confess
that I was not always the best passenger (or driver). In Hamilton, I
distinctly recall stuffing my sports car into a snow bank while Jim
and Al Kerr were trapped in the hatch. Fortunately (for me), I was
enjoying a great conversation with Al's girlfriend at the time.  Some
of you may also remember our 5th reunion where Jim graciously provided
me with the keys to his parent's Suburban.  Some of you were even on
the Suburban as we rocketed across the lower level and stuck it axle
deep behind the tennis courts. Fortunately, we were able to extricate
the vehicle and no one (read me) was harmed in the act. Clearly, Jim
COULD have exacted his revenge at the wedding but he did not.  Instead
Jim regaled a table of like minded people about his movie/screen
writing career. He did not tell any storiees about my strange hatred
of Parney Hagerman or any of the multitude of stupid things that I did
during college and after.  Jim (or the memory of Jim) caused me a
great deal of concern but that anxiety was misplaced. I admit that I
had "people" placed to spirit Jim away if he decided to end my wife's
day of tribute (and no I did not consider it OUR wedding). This time
Jim behaved appropriately (as opposed to Doug Schmidt's Kansas wedding
where Jim's antics were legendary). After the ceremony, my mother
remarked that Jim had certainly matured, which was a direct reference
to Jim's consumption of champagne on graduation day so many years ago.

Jim - thank you for your exemplary behavior and I apologize for
doubting you! Everyone needs to see/buy/rent Below the Beltway.

-- 
Brian C. Steward